Adjustable dumbbells are great for exercising and I have been focused on doing a new routine these days. The benefit of using adjustable dumbbells is that they are easy to use and do not require much storage space, allowing you to vary your daily workout routines with interchangeable weights. You can start from beginning to the next level easily by simply changing the plates to train a single muscle group at a time or different muscle groups simultaneously to develop your strength & muscle gains in arms, shoulders and back. I have been doing these exercises over the course of the last few weeks:
- Chest: Dumbbell Press, Dumbbell Pullover
- Back: Dumbbell Row, One-Arm Rows & Rear Delt Flies
- Legs: Goblet Squat, Rear Lunge
- Triceps: Dumbbell skullcrushers, Overhead extensions
- Biceps: Hammer Curls, Zottman Curls
- Shoulders: Lateral Raise, Overhead Dumbbell Press
- Abs: Weighted Crunches, Leg Raises (dumbbell between feet)
If you plan on using a kettlebell instead, do follow our kettlebell workout series for further instructions!
Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells Review
- 1 Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells Review
- 1.1 Manufacturer Overview
- 1.2 Product Description
- 1.3 Technical details
- 1.4 Features
- 1.5 Weight Range
- 1.6 Pros
- 1.7 Cons
- 1.8 Positive Customer Reviews
- 1.9 Negative Customer Reviews
- 1.10 Price Range
- 1.11 My Verdict
- 1.12 Video Review
- 1.13 Comparison:
Yes4All was started in 2010 as a registered company in California. They are an e-commerce focused company. They sell online only and their product portfolio varies with items of yoga, pet & home appliances. Most of the items they sell look like rebrands from a no-name manufacturer. Yet, they have good reviews in customer service, which is an added benefit while dealing with them.
You get a set of 2 dumbbells with a total weight of 60 lbs. There are two 14”x1” handles, four 5-pound plates, four 8-pound plates, and four collars. The cast iron weight plates fit 1-inch standard bars. You could use all standard 1-inch handles with these. The cast iron plates are covered with a black paint finish, in order to prevent rust and corrosion.
The manufacturer says that they handle is chrome textured for a better grip. There are diamond-like curls present as well, which should help with even better grip. The collars are star-lock collars with loose-resistant rubber trims which have threaded ends, which provide a safe, secure workout and assist with easy weight plate changes.
- Item Weight: 60 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 33 pounds
- Size: Depends on your choice
- Warranty: 5-Year Warranty on weight plates and parts
- Weight Range: You can buy up to 200lbs in 5-pound increments. It is also the cheapest per pound weight you can find anywhere online
- Weight increments: If you buy 60 lbs, you get four five-pound plates and four eight-pound plates. This can vary with the amount of weight you buy.
- Star-Lock collars: The collars on this set are star shaped and the ends are threaded which help in changing weights faster
- Compact: If you are looking at these for a home gym these are compact and do not take up a lot of space
These dumbbells come in the following weight ranges:
- 40 lbs set – two handles, four collars, four 5-lbs plates, four 3-lbs plates
- 50 lbs set – two handles, four collars, four 3-lbs plates, four 7.5-lbs plates (sometimes, we use 8 lbs instead of 7.5 lbs)
- 50 lbs set – one handle, two collars, eight 5-lbs plates, two 2.5-lbs plates, two 1.25-lb plates
- 60 lbs set – two handles, four collars, four 5-lbs plates, four 8-lbs plates
- 105 lbs set – two handles, four collars, sixteen 5-lbs plates, four 2.5-lbs plates, four 1.25-lb plates
- 200 lbs set – two handles, four collars, four 2.5-lbs plates, four 5-lbs plates, sixteen 10-lbs plates
- Price: These are the cheapest when you compare it on a price per pound basis. If you are on a budget then this becomes the obvious choice for you
- Compact: These come in at a size which is perfect for a home gym set up. You won’t find these taking up too much space in a room either. You won’t be needing a large rack to store these
- Good grip: Once you latch these on the weights don’t wobble around, and you have a secure grip on the weights
- Padding: The handles could have used a little padding, which would have increased the usability.
- Loose: The nuts are a little lose which helps change the weight easily but sometimes they come off really fast
- Greasy paint: The protective paint is a little greasy, which might come off with rugged usage
Positive Customer Reviews
I see a lot of people have praised this product as one of the cheapest products on the market, giving it a value advantage to it.
People have said that for a dollar a pound these weights are pretty solid. The locks hold up pretty well. There are over 1000 five-star reviews for the product, and it is top rated on Amazon. When it comes to dumbbells, these have been rated by Amazon with “Amazon’s Choice” tag, which means that these have been tested by experts from Amazon for quality too
These work great for almost all dumbbell related workouts and are long lasting. These come with a five-year warranty, which is also very good for the price.
Negative Customer Reviews
With such a low price, there is always some compromise to be made in a product.
The primary complaint with a lot of people is that the paint that they have used to prevent corrosion is really greasy and comes off really easily. This is partly true, and a user has even provided solutions to this issue with pictures. However, I really haven’t had it come off as much as reviews have suggested.
People have also had issues with the screw being too loose. Some people have also suggested that if you tighten these clamps and put actual force into it they will stay put. They also suggested taking out the rubber rings as that helps them stick together. For those of you that cannot put so much force, simply twist the last weight plate next to each clamp right and this will tighten it with little effort.
You won’t really be able to find these offline since these are sold online only. However, make sure to check shipping policies in your area. Some people had to go to the post office to pick up their product as there are limits in USPS shipping weight policies. However, as far as pricing goes, these are unbeatable. You can buy 200 lbs weight at $200, which equates to a dollar for a pound of weight. You can’t find anything cheaper than this.
I like to use and abuse the products I buy. I am a pretty rough handler of things, and these have so far survived without any major issues. I think that what had sealed this purchase for me is that the price of these are almost perfect. Going to the store and buying weights would have cost me more in gas alone. Free shipping is an added bonus, and these came in about a week.
The shape of the dumbbells is not revolutionary. This is what is perfect. These are not trying to innovate. They stick to what is right and what has been used since forever, and they get it right. The handle is a little larger than what you would expect but it is not too heavy. Once you fit the weights in these do not wobble at all. I have had no difficulties in using these pair.
The diameter of the handles on this set is 1.25,” while the standard handle diameter and plate hole is 1 inch. The seller’s loose plates are 1 inch as well. It’s kind of annoying because anybody buying 50 lb dumbbells is obviously looking to get bigger, but once you’re ready to add more weight, you have a difficult time with this particular set. So, if you are looking for something, make sure you have enough weight purchased that will keep you going for a while.
A Routine while using these dumbbells:
- Wide squats
- Calf raises
- Stationary lunges
- Stiff-leg dead lift
- Reverse lunge
- Side lunge
- Alternating rows
- Wide row
- Dead lift
- Flat chest press
- Incline chest press
- Flat fly
- Incline fly
- Decline chest press
- Ab crunch
- Reverse crunch
- Lying trunk rotation
- Twisting side crunch
- Lying leg raise
- Standing curls
- Concentration curls
- Incline bench curls
- Scott curls
- Overhead triceps extension
- Triceps kickback
- Lying triceps extension
- Hammer curls
- Standing shoulder press
- Lateral raise
- Seated overhead press
- Front raise
- Rear delt row
Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells
- Minimum Weight: 5 pounds
- Maximum Weight: 100 pounds
- Number of different weight settings: 19
- Size: 22.5 x 11.5 x 3 inches ; 200 pounds
- Positives: These are the cheapest set of pair of adjustable dumbbells on the market. If you are a professional lifter or are planning to become one, these are good for training. You also get a five year warranty with this set.
- Negatives: A lot of the complaints about this set stem from the fact that the coating on this device gets damaged after a bit of rough handling. Sometimes, the screw is loose and you need to manually tighten it
StairMaster Adjustable Dumbbell
- Minimum weight: 5 pounds
- Maximum weight: 100 pounds
- Number of different weight settings: 19
- Size: 20 x 11 x 10 inches
- Positives: These have a natural shape, which makes it easier to hold and exercise compared to the other power blocks. Once you start using these, your workouts will become much, much faster as you won’t have to bother unscrewing and adding extra weights. These are not going to take up a lot of space in your house.
- Negatives: This has a high price. The quality could be better for the price. Warranty of two years only.
Bowflex SelectTech 552
- Minimum Weight: 10 pounds
- Maximum Weight: 90 pounds
- Number of different weight settings: 15
- Size: 15.75 length x 8 width x 9 height (inches)
- Positives: You can adjust weights in increments of 2.5 and 5 pounds. Price is very competitive compared to alternatives. Larger weight range than alternative models at the same price point.
- Negatives: Need to be careful not to drop the dumbbells on the floor - this can result in damage to the locking mechanism. They dumbbells are also quite bulky.